Srinagar, August 02 (KMS) : The illegally detained Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman, Muhammad Yasin Malik, who was on hunger strike in Tihar Jail in Indian capital New Delhi for the last 10 days, discontinued his fasting on Monday evening after he was informed that his demands have been conveyed to the authorities concerned.
The 56-year-old jailed leader, Yasin Malik began an indefinite hunger strike on 22 July after New Delhi did not respond to his plea that he should be allowed to physically appear in a Jammu Court hearing — regarding the Rubaiya Sayeed abduction case in which he was falsely implicated.
He has deferred his hunger strike for two months at the request of the Director General (DG) of Delhi Prisons Sandeep Goel, the officials said, quoting prison officials Press Trust of India (PTI) reported.
The 56-year-old leader is serving a life sentence in a fake case.
The DG has conveyed to Malik that the demands raised by him have been sent to the authorities concerned and he will be informed of the decision on the same, said a senior jail official.
“On my request, Yasin Malik, who was on hunger strike in Tihar Jail since July 22 has today (Monday) evening, discontinued his fasting,” Goel said.
Malik was admitted to the RML Hospital in New Delhi last month following a fluctuation in blood pressure, and after returning to the prison, he refused to eat anything.
Malik, who is kept in solitary confinement in a high-risk cell in India’s infamous Tihar’s prison number 7, was shifted to the prison’s Medical Investigation (MI) room where he was being given IV fluids, the officials said.
Malik had submitted a letter to the doctors at the hospital, saying he did not want to be treated.