Srinagar, December 26 (KMS): In Indian illegally occupied Jammu and Kashmir, the parents of an eight-year-old nomad girl, who was brutally raped and murdered in Kathua district of Jammu, are anguished that while their appeal for enhancement of sentence against six people remains unheard, two convicts were released on bail in the case described by none other than a court itself as a “devilish and monstrous crime”.
Mohammed Yusuf, who had adopted the eight-year-old girl, and Mohammed Akthar, her biological father, said they had heard that two culprits — former sub-inspector Anand Dutta and head constable Tilak Raj — had been released on bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court, which suspended the rest of their sentences pending an appeal.
“I am surprised that two accused have been left on bail. Our appeal for enhancement of sentence is still pending while their appeal has been addressed. I wonder whether poor people like us will ever be heard.
“I hope the [Indian] Supreme Court looks into the matter and takes some action as no one is hearing our petition,” Akthar told the media.
Yusuf said that efforts were being made to dilute the case to the extent that all the culprits were out. “When the accused are out on bail, I fear that one day, I will be booked under some frivolous charge and thrown into jail. They are very powerful people,” he said.