Curfew, communication clampdown continue in IIOJK

OIC condemns denial of right to choose burial rights of Gilani

Srinagar, September 03 (KMS): Narendra Modi-led fascist Indian government continued to impose strict curfew and communication clampdown on the second consecutive day, today, in Indian illegally occupied Jammu and Kashmir to prevent people from holding funeral prayers in absentia for the veteran Hurriyat leader, Syed Ali Gilani, and conducting a march towards Hyderpora to pay tribute to him.

According to Kashmir Media Service, call for the holding of funeral prayers and the march was given by the All Parties Hurriyat Conference as part of its five-day calendar to protest the custodial death of the veteran Hurriyat leader. Responding to the APHC call, the people also observed complete shutdown, today.

The occupation authorities did not allow holding of Juma prayers in all mosques of the Kashmir Valley. Thousands of Indian troops deployed in every nook and corner of the occupied territory kept the resident indoors. However, despite curfew and heavy deployment of Indian forces’ personnel, people offered funeral prayers in absentia for Syed Ali Gilani in small groups in their respective localities at many places in the occupied territory.

Syed Ali Gilani’s son, Dr Naseem Gilani, in an interview said that they were not allowed to participate in the burial of his father. Indian police took away, last night, the tombstone placed on the site reserved for the grave of Syed Ali Gilani at Martyrs’ Graveyard in Srinagar.

The APHC in its calendar has called for complete shutdown in the occupied territory for the five days from today onwards and a march towards Hyderpora residence of the veteran leader in Srinagar every day till Sunday. It has urged people to massively converge at Eidgah in Srinagar on Monday to pay tributes to the martyrs. Kashmiris living across the world have been asked to hold protests outside the Indian High Commissions on Tuesday against India’s illegal occupation over Jammu and Kashmir.

On the other hand, the Chairman of Hurriyat forum, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who is under house arrest, in a statement paid glowing tributes to Syed Ali Gilani for his immense contribution and sacrifices on political and resistance fronts. He maintained that the demise of Syed Ali Gilani has not only created a big void in the political corridors of Jammu and Kashmir but also marked the completion of an era. Other Hurriyat leaders and organizations in their statements also paid homage to the veteran Hurriyat leader.

Massive clashes broke out between Kashmiri youth and the Indian forces in Nawabazar area of downtown Srinagar, yesterday, against the forced burial of veteran Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Gilani by the Indian authorities. The protesters raised high-pitched pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. Indian police subjected the demonstrators to teargas shelling.

Meanwhile, funeral prayers in absentia were offered for Syed Ali Gilani at Faisal Mosque in Islamabad and all other major cities of Pakistan and Azad Jammu and Kashmir.

The Independent Permanent Human Rights Commission of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation in a tweet condemned the Indian government for denying the right to choose burial rites and site of the veteran Hurriyat leader, Syed Ali Gilani. It also denounced the Indian government’s action of imposing curfew and communication blockade in IIOJK.